If you have read our blog in the past several months, then you probably have been tracking the progress of my oldest son’s Vintage Airplane themed room. But what you didn’t know; is that I have simultaneously been working on my younger son’s Vintage Car themed bedroom. Today I will be sharing the first of many posts for this room, a DIY Upholstered Bed Fame.
Well, let’s get right down to it.
Bed Frame Supplies
3 ½ yards of quilt batting from the roll – cut in half width wise to have a total of 7 yard total.
3 ½ yards of fabric – cut in half width wise and sewed together to make a long strip
Plywood – cut to 38″x74″
Rectangular frame – (2) plywood cut to 38″x14″, (2) plywood cut to 74×14″
Support board- (1) 2×4 cut to 4’3″, (2) 2×2 cut to 7″- attached 2x2s to 2×4 with screws (see picture 6)
Box Spring support rails – (2) 2x2s cut to 6′, (2) 2x2s cut to 1′
First, my handy husband used a circular saw to cut each wood piece indicated in the supplies section. This frame is for a standard twin size bed measuring 38×74.
Next, he built the outside of the bed frame by lining the frame boards up in a rectangular shape and drilling screws in for attachment.
Then, the rails were added to the inner part of the frame 6″ from the bottom. We used a level to make sure our son wouldn’t be sleeping on a slope. These will hold up the main plywood piece that the box spring fits on.
After that, the plywood board was carefully placed and attached to the side support rails.
Then, to the give the main plywood piece some additional support, he adhered the support-board to the bottom center of the large board. We made a mark for the center, then attached the board with two screws equal distance from the center.
Here is what the bottom looked like after the support board was attached.
To give this fame a little softness, we wrapped the entire outer portion of the rectangle with quilt batting and used the staple gun to secure it. First we tucked and stapled the batting to the top. Then we did the same to the bottom.
Finally to finish off the look of this bed, we used the same method as we did for the quilt batting to add the fabric. I picked up my fabric at Walmart for $1 per yard. Score! This is how it looked with just what box spring in it.
If you like what you see, come back soon and check out part two of this post to see the final results! Headboard and all!
*Update: Final Results have been posted! Come check out how the bed turned out!*
You may also like: