Something about the fall/winter seasons and crock pots just go hand in hand. Maybe it is the cooler weather, the shorter days, or my extreme laziness, but I often find that using a slow cooker makes my life a lot easier this time of year. One of the recipes that frequently gets requested is Pizza Soup, a simple, yet delicious, meal that can appease even the pickiest of eaters.
My favorite thing about this soup is that it can be thrown together in flash and is totally customizable based upon your own personal tastes. Love pepperoni, but hate veggies? Great! Despise the meats, but diggin’ mushrooms and peppers? You win too! The possibilities are endless. Here is how I made our soup this time.
First, I gathered all of the ingredients.
one jar of four cheese pasta sauce / 1 cup chopped mild banana peppers /
1 Tbsp Italian seasoning / 1/2 tsp garlic powder / 16 oz. tomato sauce /
mozzarella cheese (not pictured) / water (not pictured)
We’ve found that we love this recipe a bit spicy, but if you prefer less heat, feel free to reduce the amount of banana peppers or omit them completely. Heck, just throw in any of your favorite pizza ingredients and you will be sure to have a soup that makes your mouth water.
Next, I added all of the ingredients to the crock pot, except the mozzarella cheese. (After I emptied the jar of pasta sauce, I filled it with water and add that as well.)
Then, mix everything together. It may look a bit like hot lava, but at this point, will not burn your finger prints off when touched.
Cook on high for 3 hours or on low for 6 hours. Add some mozzarella cheese to the top and watch it melt. Yum! Serve with a bread stick if you like.
Seriously, this soup is so easy to whip up and my family wolfs it down in no time. Plus, it can fix that pizza craving without us having to call a delivery man!
Crock Pot Pizza Soup from Elizabeth Joan Designs
12 servings (serving size: 1 cup)
• 1 lb. ground sausage (browned)
• 1/2 cup quartered pepperoni
• 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
• 1 jar four cheese pasta sauce
• 1 cup chopped mild banana peppers
• 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
• 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
• 16 ounces tomato sauce
1. Combine all ingredients, except mozzarella cheese, in crock pot.
2. Fill empty pasta sauce jar with water and add to crock pot.
3. Cook on high for 3 hours or low for 6 hours, until soup is bubbling around edges. (Times my vary.)
4. Serve with shredded mozzarella cheese on top.
You may also like: